A clean house, beautifully decorated, lots of comfort food, candles everywhere, family together spending quality time. Sounds like Christmas, right? Danes made it a lifestyle by making the ordinary day extraordinary. Hygge is a Danish and Norwegian word for “a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment”.
Hygge is about rituals: tea or coffee drunk slowly from a beautiful cup, nice bath with essential oils and candles, sitting by the fire wearing fluffy socks and wrapped with a woolen blanket.
Hygge is good for your health. It’s even good for your relationship!
Imagine having Christmas every day
- minimize clutter – clutter tends to lead to more clutter
- don’t keep broken items. Either fix them or get rid of them (Chinese say broken things bring bad energy)
- little things make all the difference – decorate your house with objects with souls, those which have a meaning to you, i.e. shell brought from holidays rather than an item bought in a store.
- do not keep your good china for a special occasion. Make every day special.
- be connected with nature. Bring the nature indoor. Pinecones, branches, flowers bring a sense of peace and comfort
- set your mood – plan your mood with music, create playlists
- dinner time is sacred – family time without distractions, phones away, candles on the table.
Let’s not forget our pets
They bring special kind of love into our lives.
Have a lovely Christmas and keep the mood all year round! Let’s Hygge 2021! X